Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
How would they find out? Another unworkable law like the law making
use
of mobiles while driving illegal. Who cares about abuse of vermin

like
grey squirrels anyway?

How would who find out what?

Whilst many people accept the necessity of pest control, that doesn't

mean
they would condone wanton cruelty to the 'pest'. Would you think it

OK
kill squirrels by roasting them alive over a slow fire, for example?

Would you consider a time of 10 seconds, or less, to death, cruelty?

Depends whether or not the '10 seconds' is filled with agony and
suffering.
If the animal is shot through the head, it would usually be stunned
instantly. Drowning, IMO, is cruel in comparison.

Perhaps you could advise me how to get a firearms licence which would

enable
me to shoot the vermin.

It's quite simple - you apply to the firearms licensing section of your
local police force. However, you do not currently need a firearms or shotgun
licence for an air rifle with a muzzle energy of 12 feet pounds or less,
which other posters state are sufficiently powerful to do the job you have
in mind.

And perhaps you could tell me how to make sure the vermin keeps still long
enough for me to aim a gun and pull the trigger?

I could make some suggestions, but I think you'd be better off seeking
advice from people with actual experience of humane destruction of grey
squirrels.

It's quite clear that you have never had to deal with vermin in a trap.

Depends what you mean by vermin. I've never trapped a squirrel, but if I
were to set out to do so, I'd first take the trouble to ensure I was capable
of dealing with the victim in a humane manner.