Old 10-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Doug Kanter

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

I know what you mean. I'd be perfectly happy with camping in the yard and
waiting for them with a shotgun, but unfortunately, I have neighbors who
like to complain about the littlest things.

Here in Pennsylvania, the game local game warden actually recommends
that people in urban areas get their neighbors to get a licensed hunter
to get permission to reduce a nuisance herd. The game commission
authorizes the hunter to do this. The hunter gets signed waivers from
the home owners waiving the restriction on hunting near homes. Then the
licensed hunter gets on a roof of a home and shoots them with a bow and
arrow or cross bow. Since he is shooting down toward the ground, even
if he misses, there is no risk as long as pets and children are kept in.
Usually this is done at night, so the children are in bed asleep. In
some areas it can be done during the day; the deer are that bold. The
risk of lyme disease is much worse than the risk of having a
archer-sniper reducing the herd. That is the only control the game
commissioner says works here other than 7' high fences. He says that he
has seen them eventually figure out every other type of control.

I have a neighbor who bow hunts, and practices by hitting bottle caps from
about 75', successfully, I might add. Maybe he's interested....

My town brings in hunters for herd control, but only in a large park area
about 5 miles away. Not enough, though.