Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Steve Harris

Default pH Measurement

I garden on "Cheltenham Sand" which according to
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/me...ded%20appendix
%20%20D.pdf is "composed of medium grained quartz sand with limestone
fragments and gravel lenses"

I've measured my soil pH several times with the 1 pound soil testing
kits and it always comes out at slightly alkaline which is what you'd
expect.

Recently I bought a probe type pH meter and found:

- Nowhere in my garden is alkaline according to the probe - even places
that I limed in the Winter!
- A lot of places have a pH of around 6. This includes a tub of
erricaceous compost where a blueberry is living happily.
- I've even found spots with a pH of 3.5 but a few inches away, it's a
more reasonable 6.
- Unused multipurpose compost has a pH of 6
- I tested the probe with plain water and got 7. A splash of orange into
the water moved the reading down to 6

Anyone think anything is going wrong here?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/