Old 10-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Victoria Clare

Thanks all.

Sounds like I can get on with potting up my surpluses.

I'n not planning to take cuttings of anything that I know to be a specific
named, protected variety, or sell any plants as named types, but, for
example, I know I have at least four different 'named varieties' of
strawberry plant in the garden, plus a couple of things which probably had
names once but not by the time I got them.

Given the habits of strawberry plants and the regrettable inattention I
have paid them over the last 8 months ;-), I have no idea which the ones
that have generously planted themselves all the way down my bark path are.

I'm fairly sure one of the varieties had a label threatening winged monkeys
of death (or similar), but I don't know which one is which.

Now I know that no-one is likely to be checking, or bothered about it, I
can just mark them 'strawberry' (which will at least be accurate, if brief)
and leave it at that.

Now I think about it, I think the 'winged monkey' protected strawberry was
also described as an old French variety.

Surely it can't be a traditional variety and a protected genetic variant
???

Victoria