Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Alan Walker

Ulmus americana does have large leaves, but they can
reduce. However, other elms are a better choice for bonsai.
By the way, Ulmus americana is not cedar elm. Cedar elm
is Ulmus crassifolia. And winged elm is Ulmus alata, unless the
arbiters of taxonomy have been shuffling things around again.
Alan Walker

From: John T. Jarrett
I can't imagine the leaves would ever reduce well enough. My
experience in Texas is Ulmus Americana and Ulmus elliphino (Cedar
Elm and Winged Elm). The latter is difficult to tell from Chinese
Elm and is often sold as such and the leaves are already only an
inch or two long. American Elm down here has 4 inch leaves!

My 2 cents anyway...would love to hear of a success and just how
tall said bonsai is :)
John in Houston

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++