Old 11-05-2005, 04:42 AM
Terry Robbins

On May 10, 2005, at 22:11, John T. Jarrett wrote:
I can't imagine the leaves would ever reduce well enough.

Leaf reduction is the big question in my mind. We've several denizens
of this cultivator that we have planted out as landscape trees in the
past few years. As they mature the leaves are indeed in the 4-6" range.
They are quick growers in the right circumstances. The second year
after they are established they can grow up to four feet in height in
one season. Caliper increases rapidly in the ground. This is of course
in our area.

I have also worked with Ulmus americana 'Liberty' with similar results.
I planted one of these as a landscape tree on our farm about 13 years
ago and it has now reached about a seven inch caliper about three feet
above the ground and is probably close to fifty feet in height. It is
thriving. But the leaves are typical. We also have a couple survivors
of DED here on the farm, one of which is over three feet in
circumference and probably close to a hundred years of age or more.
After all that it took a lightening strike last summer and now has an
incredible 50 foot long scare down it's trunk. From a distance it is a
classic vase shape that can be imagined as a bonsai.

I have a collected americana seedling from around ten years ago growing
in the front yard of my house which is over 30' this spring.

I also have a couple Ulmus parvifola 'Corticosa' which I am tending and
a couple Ulmus parvovla 'Hokaido' that I've recently acquired and am
enjoying tremendously.

I'm not aware of any stories of any successful cultivation of the
American Elm as bonsai though. I intend to play with this to see what
happens but would welcome other's experiences.

Terry Robbins - Upstate NY - Zone 4/5

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++