Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM

Default any asparagus experts out there?

Hi - I purchased an asparagus crowns in the middle of April and planted
it out. The garden nursery said it was a two year old asparagus and
should crop this year, albeit lightly. I know its only been one month,
but it looks a bit spindly to me.

I've put some pics online he
http://www.thesullies.com/garden/asparagus.htm. Could any expert take
a look at tell me if the nursery was being optimistic with its
predictions of a crop.

Also, I just took the plant from its container and plonked it in the
ground with a bit of compost. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to
separate the spears - for the sake of not stressing the roots, I opted
not to. I'm now thinking that one plant (or crown?) will only feed me
one meal next year, which is a poor return - so perhaps I better go and
get a few more crowns. Or can I expect new spears to emerge from the
ground next year, and if so should I allow them to grow or nip them off
?

Many thanks in advance...

Rgds,
Kevin.

PS - I am in Hove, East Sussex.
PPS - I am a novice gardiner - which may be clear by now. But this
usenet group is great!