Old 11-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Sacha

On 10/5/05 21:45, in article ,
"tom" wrote:

Hi,

I have an ALOE plant, its in gritty compost. When I bought it it
looked green & healthy, but its going brown & looks really sick.

I have no idea what's wrong but it must be me who's killing it.

It was on a nicely sunlit window, by a radiator, so I have moved it to
a sunny windowsill with no radiator. But its still not getting any
better.

It was dry so i have given it a good drink, but still not getting any
better.

Can anyone give me any assistance as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

I'm afraid it's the good drink. I had one on a sailing boat that I watered
once every 6 months IIRC and always allowed to drain very well afterwards.
Even then, it could look a bit sick after watering. Remember, they're
desert plants.
Your reply to Martin is that it's putting out new leaves so DON'T water it
at all! It's trying desperately to survive despite your loving attention
;-) Most house plants don't need watering more than once a week - some need
even less but the really important thing is to let them drain afterwards and
never to leave them standing in water unless they're bog plants!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk