Old 11-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare wrote:

Now I think about it, I think the 'winged monkey' protected strawberry was
also described as an old French variety.

Surely it can't be a traditional variety and a protected genetic variant
???

That is precisely what I was referring to as bogus claims. There is
(in general) no law in the UK against false advertising, false claims
of legal constraints and so on. And it is a hell of a lot cheaper to
make such claims than it is to do the work to justify them!

For example, "shrink-wrap licences", most of the Web pages that say
"By clicking on the button, you accept ..." are void in law. There
is no valid contract, and therefore no licence. But there is no
law against making a claim that there is, and precious little against
actually persecuting you on bogus grounds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.