Old 11-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

The other problem is that you're a novice and growing sparrows' grass isn't
really something you should be attempting as your first veggie growing
project.

It depends on your soil. Given the right one, it is a weed.

Also check your soil type - where do you live? They also like to be in the
full sun and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't that hardy, so would need
to be kept under cloches at this time of year as we are still experiencing
some nights of frost. Having said that, according to the link below, they
will grow in almost any soil (it doesn't make specific mention of sand, but
it does say acidic, so I took that to mean sandy).

They are fully hardy, and they definitely don't need acid, but need
deep soil and excellent drainage. In sand, they will establish
themselves as a self-sowing weed. I don't grow asparagus - I hunt it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.