Old 11-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Sacha

On 11/5/05 9:58, in article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 10/5/05 22:52, in article ,
"Simon Tomlinson" wrote:

I am an enthusiastic amateur, filling lots of pots and some borders
with easy plants each year. Last year I planted Dianthus for the
first time. I love the flowers and was looking forward to them
coming back each year. Of the 6 plants I put in the front garden,
none have come back this year, not a trace.

What did I do wrong? The soil is quite sandy and poor, but I dig
left over compost in regularly and this has helped other bedding.

Kate, when my husband moved to Devon from Essex, he grew Dianthus
commercially for some time and sent them off to flower markets. So
I've asked him for his answer to your question.
Ray says: Miss PT is quite correct that they like lime but they need
to be well drained, too. What they do hate is being very wet. He
asks where you live and when you planted them? And he suggests that
if you planted them late in the year, that could be another reason
for their failure. Plant them in the spring so that they get really
well-established before winter arrives again.

Thank you, Sacha, I'm still learning. I'm coming down your way at some point
(I don't plan my holidays, they just seem to happen!) so I may very well
drop in on the nursery.

We'll look forward to meeting you. The nursery number is 01803 762273 or
drop me an email to let me know when and if you're coming and we'll be sure
to be here. I'd love to suggest another urg meet here this year but there
just aren't enough months in the year this year!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk