Old 11-05-2005, 02:46 PM
The Reids

Following up to

o perhaps I better go and
get a few more crowns. Or can I expect new spears to emerge from the
ground next year, and if so should I allow them to grow or nip them off

i grew from seed and after three years I'm getting a few to eat.
As they seem to come up in ones and twos i'm glad I have a whole
allotment row. I asked here the other day about what to remove
and since got to grips with the logic. The leaves provide an
engine to grow the plant, so you must leave some in place. Books
say harvest till a certain date then leave but i'm finding there
are plenty of thin shoots not worth picking and also good shoots
that are away a foot high while my backs turned, so i'm fairly
relaxed about taking fat shoots when they arrive.
(corrections to above welcomed).
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site