Old 11-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Leon Trollski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message
news:JQ9ge.1303749$Xk.365030@pd7tw3no...
If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled

back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

I moved into my house last September and began mowing as normal. I only
found out this year that I had about 100 daffodils in a certain area of

the
lawn. They certainly do punch through the turf. As far as peeling back the
turf for a new planting....hmmm. I guess it depends on how big an area and
how many bulbs, as well as what kinds of resources (tools, money) you have
available. If I were planting bulbs under grass, I think I'd utilize two
people. One with a long bulb planter (the cylindrical cutter with a long
handle), and the other person doing the planting and replacing the plugs

of
grass.

thanks. I read the planter method is ok for small numbers, but every book I
checked says the turf peeling is best for large numbers.

There are no examples I can examine in my city whatsoever. I think if I try
it will be with something small and understated like Scilla.