Old 11-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Boothbay

Default crape myrtle in pots

I have this hardy crape myrtle plant in my backyard garden for 15 years
and blooms each year profusely. Last spring, I noticed some 'sprouts'
around its base and I removed t hem root and all and put them into
various size pots. I brought them indoors last september and nutured
them and they looked healthy. BTW, I live in the nyc area..zone 6 or 7.
A couple of weeks ago I started to put them outside on a small patio to
get adjusted to the outdoors when it finally does get warmer. I bring
them indoors at night although they are suppose to be hardy. I'm
talking about plants that are almost 2 feet high. In one day, I noticed
that the leaves look like they have been 'toasted' by the sun. The temp
was merely in the low 60's during the day and low 40's at night. I
immediately brought them indoors and the leaves started to recuperate.
Why does this happen to a so called hardy plant? When will the
temperature be right to leave them out altogether, if at all?