Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
JimS.

"icius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Until this weekend I had never planted a rose before and am hoping I
did things right. I bought a bush for my wife for Mother's Day. I
planted a potted plant marked "Hybrid Tea Rose - Opening Night -
Jacolber PP# 11265". I followed the instructions that came with it and
did some research on the side as well. Here is what I did:

1. Dug a circular hole approx 2 feet in diameter and 1 1/2 feed deep.

2. Build up the bottom of the hole with soil so that the bud union
would be above ground after planting.

3. Filled in the hole with Miracle-Gro Rose Mix soil.

4. Added about 2 gallons of water.

5. Topped off the hole with the Miracle-Gro and layer of Peat Moss.

THIS might have not been a good idea. Usually they say not to fertilize
when you plant the rose. Don't fertilize again till it stabilizes. You
might try fish emulsion too, it's hard to over-fertilize with fish-gut
juice. You can get it at Home Depot for example.

6. Watered again briefly.

Any help or advice would be great. Maybe I am worrying too much. What
should I do about the spent and dead blooms? Should I prune this soon
after a new planting?

You're probably worrying too much. NO, do not prune it. Quite possibly
just has shock from the transplant. Roses are actually pretty hardy and
although it may die back a little I'll bet it's not going to croak. Relax.
It'll probably stabilize soon.

BTW... although I don't have that rose, I did see it in the International
Rose Test Garden in Portland, OR. To me, it really stood out as one of the
most beautiful. It was on my "short list" out of literally hundreds. Nice
choice, hope it pulls through for you. I'll bet it will do just fine.

JimS.
Seattle