Old 11-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Reel McKoi

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
Stephen Henning wrote:
Andy Hill wrote:

Air pumps are basically for looks

We have all seen fish die if an aquarium pond looses its aeration, so
they do work. They need to be sized to the pond. They have ratings on
the side of the box for different sized ponds. Warm water doesn't hold
much O2 and may need more aeration. The air pump for my pond cost
nearly $200.

I was unclear. Lots of folks believe that the bubbles themselves

contribute to
the aeration. That's pretty much incorrect -- anything that roils the

water
surface as well as a bubble column/wall will do just as good of a job
facilitating gas exchange as a bubble column/wall. In the OP's case,

directing
the discharge of that monster pump along the surface will roil the surface
plenty.

I'm wondering if it would be too much current and roiling in a 300 gallon
pond. ????
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)