Old 11-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
::: Mike Lyle wrote:
:: [...]
:::::: You have to be a qualified electrician to do electrical work
:::::: and be a member of 'FENSA' to replace glass...
:::::
::::: Where? Since when? By whose rules?
:::::
:::
::: In the UK. since April 2002. Building regulations.
::: http://www.fensa.co.uk/homeowners.html
::
:: Others have commented already, but here's my twopennnorth.
::
:: There's nothing new about Building Regs. I've looked at the site,
:: and I can certainly replace a pane of glass myself without being a
:: member of anything. What's involved here is _replacement
:: installation_, not repair. Replacement windows and doors have to
:: meet new requirements, that's all: and that's a very good thing. A
:: sample from the site:
::
:: Where a window or windows is/are completely replaced (as opposed
:: to repaired) in existing dwellings, they must comply with Approved
:: Documents Parts L1 and N (safety in relation to impact).
::

It's not just replacement windows (IE frames) it's glazing in general, the
actual frames are never going to fall out and kill someone, but if you
install ordinary glass (as opposed to toughened) below a certain height and
someone falls into it and cuts themselves or worse, you can go to jail,
unless of course you are a member of FENSA, pretty much like the members of
CORGI, they are covered, both insurance wise and from those above who carry
out 'investigations'.

:: And you don't have to be a qualified electrician to do electrical
:: work. You have to meet the regs, that's all. It's been true all my
:: life, give or take a detail or two.
::
:: It seems the FENSA thing is just a hassle-saving measure you should
:: approve of: as I read it, some installers will be allowed to
:: self-certify instead of waiting for Building Control to come out
:: and check.

What I'm saying is that these pieces of legislation are in place for no
other reason than to line the pockets of those who pushed to get them
introduced.

::
:: On music copyright, no, it isn't just a free-for-all: there are
:: rules, and everybody in the business knows them.
::

But the general public just download whatever music they like without fear
of the law.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.