Old 11-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
[...]
Not wrong information at all, the man in the street cannot glaze
windows nor install any electric sockets etc unless he is 'trained'
to do so and covered by various bits of legal claptrap....if you

pay
the government the asking price, you can get all kinds of everyday
stuff outlawed, hence the 'jobs for the boys' jibe.

I don't quite understand why you keep saying this. The man in the
street is in no way restrained from glazing his own windows, or
installing his own electrics. He can also rip out all his windows and
doors and fit entirely new ones if he wants to; but he has to comply
with Building Regs, and, apart from anything else, may have trouble
getting a purchaser's surveyor to OK the house if he doesn't. That
isn't new. An authorised professional window fitter can self-certify
his materials and installation, thus saving everybody time and
money -- that's the reverse of "jobs for the boys", though I don't
personally trust it.

from what I can gather these PBR's are nothing
more than a type of 'copyright' on a certain plant, this can do
no more than stop a rival comercial grower from reproducing

them,
it cannot stop individuals from doing what they want.
ever.

PBR legislation applies equally to individuals who propagate

for
commercial use without a licence.

I have not said otherwise, only that nothing will happen if she

(the
OP) does - try reading the OP - she asked for opinions on whether

she
would be in trouble, not legal advice - that would have been sent

uk.legal and not a gardening group - opinions - IE 'has anyone ever
heard of anyone getting dusted?', my answer is a resounding NO! and
I've yet to hear from anyone in here that they have heard of it
happening either.

But everybody with an opinion on it has been agreeing with you, very
clearly, in the case of the OP's small-scale charitable project.
They -- we -- also went on to describe circumstances in which a
breeder would, and in one case did, invoke his or her legal rights
(nothing to do with the Police or "busting", by the way: this is
Civil Law).

You're not one of those rare people who finds being agreed with just
as distasteful as being disagreed with, I hope. I find them very
difficult to talk to.

--
Mike.