Old 11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Maren Purves

Travis wrote:
enigma wrote:

escape wrote in
:

On 9 May 2005 03:47:05 -0700, "JC"
opined:

X-No-Archive:yes

Lately I've been seeing lots of ads for old fashioned 'push
mowers' - light weight, 16". I have an average sized yard,
sloped in several places and was wondering just how good
and helpful a push mower would be. Does anyone have any
comments about these mowers? TIA

You will kill yourself trying to mow with that in the heat
of summer. If you had a postage sized lot with a tiny lawn
it would be excellent. We bought a rechargeable, electric
mower. We can mow two times with one charge and it is
quiet, gives off no emissions and mulches and works
beautifully. Draw back is the price...they can be
expensive.

exercise is good for you. when i had a mere 2 acres of lawn i
used a pushmower (it was a very gentle slope). this house has
3 acres of lawn, with some steep hills, so we use the JD 52"
mower on most of it & the push mower for detailing.
one thing i'd do before getting a push mower is find someone
who knows how to sharpen one or someone to teach you how to.
they aren't much fun to use when dull, & they are a bit
trickier to sharpen than power mower blades.
lee my push mower is 22" BTW)

Who in their right mind would have 2 or 3 acres of lawn?

anybody with an orchard of at least that size.
But then again, that depends on what you'd call lawn.

Maren
(not dropping by this newsgroup too often, but some of the people
in this thread I've come across in other ones)