Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"
"Clive in Kent wrote
Hi all, Need to get rid of (permanently!) 2 big, fat, greedy wood pigeons
and a verminous grey squirrel out of my garden. Thinking about buying an
air rifle. Do I need a license for one of these nowadays?

Clare replied
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in
where we blast something we don't like into smithereens? You are the
keeper of a small part of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in
it with respect.

He will probably have the greatest respect as he pulls the trigger. Like the
almost reverential respect, even love, shown by carp fisherman to the fish
they catch.
Personally I don't see the need to shoot the Wood Pigeons nesting in one of
our Cordylines or the Grey squirrels that occasionally infest our Bird Table
yet our next door neighbour catches them in traps. Some people go mad about
other peoples cats in their gardens which again doesn't bother me one bit,
Sue even feeds them (as I have just done to the local Hedgehog)!

Perhaps if Clive would explain why he dislikes these creature in his garden,
to those of us that find his desired actions strange and "over the top", we
could understand where he is coming from.

O.T. A steam train has just gone past, lovely hissing/clanking sound, the
glow of the firebox..... amazing, wonderful, nostalgic.
I suppose some people would complain about that too.

--
Regards
Bob