Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Warren

Oscar_Lives wrote:
What about golf course grass on the greens? It looks pretty healthy for
being scalped.

Plant bent grass, hire a crew to mow it three times a week, and replace the
sod whenever it shows any imperfection, and you can replicate it. But if
your lawn isn't producing income like a golf course, you'd better have a
nice hunk of cash.

Different types of turf do well at different heights, but if you look
around, what you'll see is people mow too short, and perhaps it's because
their idea of a "perfect lawn" is a putting green. There are some
consumer-level mowers that have a deck that won't even go high enough for
the typical lawns in the areas they're sold.

As for it "looking freshly mowed", as another poster mentioned, that's an
aesthetic choice I don't really care for. I like a dark, rich, thick looking
lawn. And, like most people, I view lawns while driving by at 25 mph or more
on the street. Most people will never stop, and walk to the middle of your
lawn, and notice the imperfections. But those imperfections are more
noticeable driving by a lawn cut too short, too. So the too short lawn is
calling attention to it's imperfections while it's stressing-out on it's way
to dying-out.

Mow high (taking off no more than 1/3 the blade). Water deep and
infrequently. After that, there are some huge differences of opinion, but if
the only thing you did was mow high and water deep and infrequently, you're
going to be far ahead of the game.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Find Black and Decker Landscaping Equipment. Get a Hog:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html