Old 12-05-2005, 07:52 AM
presley

I've had better success with some bulbs naturalizing in lawns than others.
Crocus seems to come back pretty reliably. I had chionodoxa for 3 years, but
each year it got less and less vigorous and finally died out. Tulips will
come back IF the foliage is not mowed before late May. Obviously, if you
want a neat looking lawn, only the very earliest bulbs will naturalize in
them, because the rule of thumb is that a bulb must keep its foliage for at
least 6 weeks after blooming in order to store enough food to bloom the
following year. A bulb that blooms in February will have a better chance
than a bulb that blooms at the end of April of the beginning of May, because
the lawn will look like a wild pasture if left unmowed until early June.
"Ornata" wrote in message

Leon Trollski Wrote:
If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled
back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can
push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

Look around in any park with naturalised bulbs growing in grassy areas.
They don't seem to have any problems coming up year after year.

--
Ornata