Old 12-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Patrick Scheible

"icius" writes:

Ok, thanks for the replies! Let's see, there were a few questions in
there. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. I thought I saw someone in
Philadelphia say they were in Zone 6?? Not sure what the climate zones
mean or if Pittsburgh is the same. Temperatures have been in the 80s
since I planted and this plant is getting sun all day long. No rain
since planting.

The soil around the hole was absolute solid clay. It was a real bear
to dig. I didn't read about proper drainage until after the planting
so I may have erred there. It is mostly the best soil from the top of
the dig on the bottom now with the Miracle-Gro mix on top to fill the
rest of the hole. Should I try to do anything about it now?

I wouldn't dig it up again now. The rose will probably be fine after
a couple of weeks, and it'd be more likely to injure it further.

But next time you dig a hole, try filling the hole with water and see
how long it takes to drain. If it takes an hour, maybe dig deeper and
see if you can get through the clay layer? I have no idea how thick
the clay is in Pittsburgh soils... Might be a case where you should
ask at a good local nursery, agricultural extension service, or rose
society.

I will see if I can get some vitamin B for the next watering.

As far as the plant goes, it looks worse today. The leaves near the
blooms are starting to turn brown and curl, the flowers themselves
continue to wilt. Just looking at it I would say it is dying of
thirst, but I watered the heck out of it last night so it isn't for
lack of water. I hope the Miracle-Gro didn't burn out the roots.

It really sounds like transplant shock. I'd still bet it'll be okay
in a couple of weeks. Definitely don't prune, but just take off dead
leaves or blooms.

I nice to hear that I picked a nice breed...it was one of those "I'll
take the pretty red one" situations so it was a lucky grab...hope I
can keep it alive long enough to see it in its glory.

It is supposed to rain tonight so I am going to skip the watering.
Definitely going to put the pruning shears in a drawer. I will let it
go for a few days and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

-- Patrick