Old 12-05-2005, 03:55 AM
StOrEcRaFt

(DD DDD) wrote in
:

My 300 gallon preform has no waterfall or fountain. Can I just use a
air pump? Is there a small outdoor model? Or should I just get a
indoor one and keep it out of the weather? I have a bio/mech filter
with a 1800 gph pump that keeps everything clean. But the good
bacteria it says need oxygen as do the fish. So far the fish seem ok.
Thank you

Injecting air into the water is the best way to get o2 dissolved into
water. Just like co2 is added to soda pop and propane is added to
gasoline. Of course this would be a system for someone who has
everything. Maybe Richie Rich.

I have 5 ponds that I keep water flowing 3/4 of the year. Water flow is
just part of the aeration system. Like most things it takes different
parts in concert to make a whole system.

On the largest pond I have an air pump with air stones. The pump is in a
semi-water tight Tupperware container along with an outdoor thermometer.
I run the air pump all year long.

A water pump is not possible in the winter time.
I don't like or use a heater either.
This winter the ice was 6" thick. I don't have to make any holes in the
ice for the fish to breath. Air doesn't freeze so was constantly being
supplied to the fish under the ice. I couldn't see where the air was
exiting the pond but I don't care because I know the pump provides a
positive air flow.

I monitor the water temperature and on the coldest days (15deg) the
temperature was holding at 34.2. Much warmer than above the ice.

The pump a use is a $9 model from Wal-Mart. They last about 2 years come
rain, shine, or ice. I change the air stones twice a year. It works
great.

Hope this helps.