Old 12-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
snip
We could argue this 'til the cows come home and I'm not prepared to bore us
all with that. I'll content myself with saying to the OP that selling a few
PBR protected plants for charity almost certainly won't upset anyone but
making your own sideline business out of someone else's PBR protected plants
almost certainly would.

I think you're both agreed on that. But what Nick seems to be saying is
that just because someone has illicitly propagated and sold 1000 plants
doesn't mean to say you have lost 1000 sales. Not all of those who
bought the 1000 plants would otherwise have approached you, by mail
order or otherwise.

You could argue that you have lost 1000 'royalties' ... except that, had
the other guy been licensed, he'd probably have had to sell the plants
at a higher price to cover that, and so may only have sold 850 of them,
not 1000 ;-)

--
Kay