Old 12-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Harold Walker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry in advance, because I guess this is an unanswerable question. I
need some topsoil, and have managed to get a good deal, but I have to
buy a minimum of 20 tons. Trouble is, I really can't visualise what 20
tons looks like!

The space is pretty big - about 90 feet by 50 feet, though I want to
fill only half of that if possible - perhaps to a depth of up to about
3 or 4 inches.

I know this is a vague question, but do people think this is way over
the top for my needs? I don't want to end up with a massive hill in my
garden!

Thanks

Will

Hope my calculation is somewhere in the right zone....a ton of soild varies
in weight according to its moisture content...believe it ranges from around
80 pounds to around 115 pounds per cubice ft.....so you are talking about a
range of 550 to 400 (approx) cubic feet of soil with 20 tons....or about 4
square feet at 3inches per cubic ft....the rest of the calculation is
easy..HW.