Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Kay

In article , writes
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
Also check your soil type - where do you live? They also like to be in the
full sun and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't that hardy, so would need

We're in East Anglia, hardly the least frosty part of the UK, and ours
have survived several years without problems.

As an aside, could someone please tell me why it's colloquially known as
'sparrows' grass' - is it to do with the sound of the word - or something
else?

I thought it was the other way about, asparagus is a corruption of
sparrow grass, but maybe I'm completely wrong there.

Asparagus is the genus of a number of different species, including the
one that we eat. AFAIK, sparrow-grass is a corruption.
--
Kay