Old 12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
"The only way to test whether a substance is safe to ingest is to (can
you
guess?), INGEST IT. This is how new medicines are tested. "

Ever hear of lab tests using animals? You're probably against that
too. And if we follow your silly logic to it's logical conclusion,
then lots of things are suddenly on the banned list. Things like air
freshner, household cleaners, plastics, even the clothes your wear,
because no one has eaten them. LOL

It might help to know how old you are. Part of your misunderstanding may
stem from having missed many years of chemical industry shenanigans.

Lab animal tests are not reliable, but chemical makers have great fun with
the idea, in two ways. If a regulatory agency like the EPA uses animals to
test a chemical and finds that it's harmful, the chemical industry responds
that you cannot extrapolate those test results to humans because we respond
to substances differently than some animals.

Paradoxically, the chemical industry will use animal tests to "prove" that
their products are safe. They want it both ways, demeaning the results of
tests when it's convenient, and worshipping the results when they feel like
it. This nonsense has been going on since the 1960s. The industry made it
more convenient for itself back then, by passing legislation (whose name I
forget, but can find out) which makes the "inert" ingredients exempt from
most tests. As I'm sure you know, many of those inert ingredients are known
to be harmful. Toluene, for example.

You point out that some household products can be harmful, and you're right.
So can table salt and toothpaste in sufficient quantities, and athletes
sometimes drop dead from drinking way too much water before an event. But
with pesticides and herbicides, you're dealing with a product that is almost
impossible to control. Thugs put little flags on the lawn warning people to
stay off of them for 24 or 48 hours, but it's already been shown that the
chemicals are still present on the surface. Nonsense.

To make matters worse, many lawn chemical thugs hire idiots to do the
application. My wife was fortunate enough to be home one day when a Chem
Lawn monkey was about to spray herbicide on the neighbor's lawn, adjacent to
our vegetable garden, with a strong wind blowing constantly toward the
garden. When she went out to stop him, he told her it was perfectly safe FOR
USE ON FOOD CROPS. Read that again.

In NY, the thugs are required to provide the exact names of the crap they're
applying, if ANYONE asks. We got the names, did a little research, and found
that they were NOT approved for use anywhere near food crops. The owner of
the local franchise lied to us when we called him about it. Based on this,
we went to our town justice and obtained an injunction against the company
and the neighbor, which prohibited them from applying any kind of chemical
on one side of their property. The injunction ordered the police to arrest
either party if the rule was violated.

So, don't tell me what you know unless you can provide proof from sources
completely independent of your industry.