Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Heh, chowder head. It's not "my industry", I have no connection to the
lawn care business. But neither I nor most the rest of the world
considers those who use pesticides to be thugs.

If you know the product is harmful and you sell it anyway, you are a thug.
If you don't know enough about what you're selling and it is, in fact,
harmful, you are doing business irresponsibly, and you are a thug. Only one
way out: If you believe in the safety of a product based only on what the
manufacturer tells you, you are an idiot, not a thug.

It's just another
example of how extreme your silly ideas are and why no one takes guys
like you seriously. I don't advocate the over use of pesticides. But
properly used, they are reasonably safe.

Who told you they were reasonably safe? You don't have the resources
available to determine that on your own.

"When she went out to stop him, he told her it was perfectly safe FOR
USE ON FOOD CROPS. Read that again. "

That could be true. Maybe you should find out what it was before
jumping to conclusions.

Due to the presence of 7' high corn and 6' high bean poles, it was obvious
that there was a food garden. It was also obvious that wind would carry the
spray right onto the garden, and that the moron did not realize this. There
was no time to do research, professor. It had to be stopped. And, as it
turned out, it was good he was stopped because what he was applying was NOT
safe for food crops. Only an idiot would've let him continue.

Get it now?

Of course you don't care what the chemical is,
you know it's unsafe right?

No, I don't assume everything is unsafe. I evaluate what's necessary to use,
and balance the risk. Lawn chemicals are unnecessary. They are intended
primarily for people who have unrealistic expectations. The primary market
is people too young or too intellectually lazy to have any awareness of the
known risks.

As far as the risk, I only trust sources independent of the people who make
or sell the chemicals. If you suspected there was a safety problem with your
car, you would be more likely to trust information from an independent
source than from the car maker. There's no reason to deal differently with
chemicals, unless your attitude is culturally or politically tainted, as
yours is.

Sounds like you like to pay 3X for organic
produce too.

If your grocery store charges 3X more for organic, you're being raped. Some
organic products will be that much higher, but based on my visit to the
store last week, carrots were about 20 cents more for a 3 lb bag, lettuce
was 2.09/lb for organic, 1.79 for regular. Bought the regular because there
was only one organic head left and it was the wrong kind. Oh yeah....I'll
buy regular produce. Farmers are much more likely to use chemicals correctly
than are homeowners or the Chem Lawn thugs.

Most people choose to buy the std produce, knowing that
it too is reasonably safe, except for extremists like you. If
agriculture went where you'd like to take it, we'd all be paying 3X for
food.

Who told you to say that? Farmers now use far less chemicals than many years
ago. The cost isn't so significant to them that it would jack up the price
of food as you say it will. The two largest contributors to agricultural
chemical pollution now are homeowners and golf courses. You really ought to
read more.

That would divert money that could be well spent on healthcare,
or education where it would have certain benefit, and send it down an
environmental extremist's rat hole. Sounds like you're perfectly
willing to eliminate farm chemicals and watch millions in poor
countries starve to death.

Chemical companies sell products to poor countries which have been
prohibited from use here, including DDT in some cases. That's a good reason
to put the brakes on those practices.