Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Doug Kanter

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Janet Price" wrote in message
Leon Trollski wrote:
If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be

peeled back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can

push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

I plant small stuff by angling a spade into the lawn and sort of

bending
it up, then pop a few tiny bulbs in and stomp down. Have done

crocus and
bluets--small nodding deep blue flowers, not sure what they're

really
called--this way in a couple places I've lived. Simple and works

just
fine. I have daffs in one place in the lawn in my current house

from
previous owners. Greens come up and no flowers for five years now.

After the greens come up, how long are you waiting before you mow

them? And,
are you applying high nitrogen fertilizer to the lawn?

I have this problem too. I have about ten or twelve little bunches
where only greenery came out. I ended up with two dafs in total, very
disappointing. The first year they all came up fine, we're now in year
two. We didn't mow them down until late summer/early fall.

KD

Hmmm....don't know what's up with that. But, bulbs like a different balance
of nutrients than grass. How about picking up a soil test kit and seeing if
things are all out of whack?