Old 12-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Harold Walker

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can
be...HW

I think that you should rerear your own post, and recheck both your
facts and the speed of sound at sea level. Our Tone seems to be a
bit more on the ball than the other Tone we keep hearing about - and
from :-(

1000 fps is correct

I reread my post, decided to check my facts, and cancelled it :-)

Unfortunately, Usenet is not good at that. I still can't make all
the figures add up, as I am pretty certain that 350 fps was touted
as the maximum velocity for a 0.22 air rifle when I bought mine.
That is under a quarter of the energy of yours (and pretty damn
inaccurate).

One thing to do is to check what those idiots mean by foot-pounds,
because there are at least three obvious meanings, and doubtless
others known only to legislators. Remember BHP?

As I remember from my poaching days back in the early 50's and my BSA 0.22
air rifle the 350 sounds like the right number.....typically the O.22 is a
slower speed than the .177 ...a lot of the more recent models have a higher
velocity than those back in the 50's...........H
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.