Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Reel McKoi

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
My long finned koi's fins get longer as they get older. The same thing
happens to the goldfish. I have never seen fins get shorter over time
unless the ends were diseased in some way.

===============================
I wondered if they were adapting to pond shape, I can envisage a long
being an advantage in still waters over a long distance, and short tail
being advantage in fast flowing waters. My pond is quite small at about
about 6ft x 3ft (excluding the planting shelves) but 3.5ft deep in the
main area.

$ I don't think that makes a difference. Tail length would be a genetic
trait an not influenced by the size of the pond or how much water
flow/current there is.

As I said the fish appear healthy, and my pond is not heavily stocked (4
Comets and 3 Shubumkins only two are larger than 3-4inches) - I wasn't
particularly worried, just curious. I wondered I was observing a common
phenomenon.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)