Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Phil L

:: Sorry in advance, because I guess this is an unanswerable
:: question. I need some topsoil, and have managed to get a good
:: deal, but I have to buy a minimum of 20 tons. Trouble is, I really
:: can't visualise what 20 tons looks like!
::
:: The space is pretty big - about 90 feet by 50 feet, though I want
:: to fill only half of that if possible - perhaps to a depth of up
:: to about 3 or 4 inches.
::
:: I know this is a vague question, but do people think this is way
:: over the top for my needs? I don't want to end up with a massive
:: hill in my garden!

Right....90X50 = 4500 sq ft

4500sq ft = approx 418 sq metres.

1 tonne is a cubic metre (depending on soggyness etc) but take it from me
that it doesn't get weighed, the bucket holds a tonne or half a tonne and
they get counted during loading, the weight doesn't enter into it.

1 cubic metre will give you 10 metres at 100mm (4 inch)...so it's safe to
say that 20 tonnes will cover approx 200 sq metres, just less than half of
your garden at a depth of 100mm, obviously if you spread it thinner it will
cover a larger area.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.