Old 13-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
Now that I have a Phrag, I figure I am interested in knowing what a Phrag's
flowering spike looks like and where it emerges, so that I will know what to
watch out for. Is it more like a Paph's spike in the middle of the growth,
or is it more like an Oncidium's spike on the side? I know that a Phal spike
can be confused with a root at the beginning, a Paph spike can be confused
with a new leaf at the beginning, and an Oncidium spike I think looks like a
new growth at the beginning. Is the Phrag spike like any of these? Or what
is it like? Also does a Phrag flower only once from a growth or can it
reflower from a growth that previously flowered?

Thanks,
Joanna

I'll not repeat what Susan has written but I'll add a few thoughts.
Every time I have noticed a Phrag spike, at its earliest stages, it
looks like 2 leaves forming at once down in the center of the fan of
leaves. Two points instead of one as when it is a leaf forming. When you
see that, you'll know something is happening.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Phrag because they seem, to me, to be much
more eager to bloom than most Paphs. I'm sure you'll be wanting more of
them in the near future. :-)

Steve