Old 13-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Kay

In article , Brian
--- writes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it

into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small

glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

Many thanks

Cheryl

_________________________
Make sure that you have not been using tap water~ If you have, then
just the slightest amount of Iodine might correct matters. Just dip a
matchstick in the Iodine and float in the water. Metamorphosis requires
thyroxine which is a compound involving Iodine.
Tap water might be deficient~~ Try more of the original pond water. Have
a large stone in the tank that protrudes above water level.
Remember that very,very few tadpoles do make it to maturity. Much
fewer than one per mass of spawn.

But that's more from predation than simply failing to grow, surely?
--
Kay