Old 13-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Farm1

"pete" wrote in message

I'll try to make it a bit more user freindly and hopefully informative
as time goes on .... anyways here tis

http://whatsallthisthen.100free.com/

Pete you DO have shitty soil! My sympathies Sunshine.

Where exactly is this area you are trying to rehabilitate with the Fergie?
By that I want to know if it is in a paddock or close to the house as in
where I would expect to find a normal veggie patch?

The reaon why I ask is that I wonder whether you perhaps need to get far
more protection from the sun in terms of shade and prevention of
evaporation.

The one thing that the one combine harvester wide section between the trees
in WA (that Chookie wrote about) would do is give that sort of protection as
well as drininking up saline water at root level.

Why I'm even thinking about this angle is that I have found over the last
year that the only things I could grow in summer were things that were
either in full shade or under shade cloth. That stinking sun and the
constant hot winds just killed anything else. I've also been reading
Michael Boddy and Richard Beckett's book "Surviving in the Eighties" and he
has some good ideas about growing food in foul summer conditions. I think
its is the sort of book you'd enjoy and you may be able to get it on
interlibrary loan.

What have you managed to achieve with the addition of horse poop?