Old 13-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Henry

Default First Blooms

We're a week or more away from the peak of the first flush but as of
yesterday, I've got rose blooms! It's a great time of year here in
Maryland. I know some of you have been enjoying roses in bloom for
weeks but they are just getting started here and I cannot wait. The
rugosa 'Blanc Double de Coubert', the climbing Bourbon 'Zepherine
Drouhin' and David Austin's 'Mary Rose' each have a couple flowers open.
The seedling rugosas have actually been blooming a few days and are
doing very well but since they really face the neighbors, they get a
better show than I do from them. Oh well, share the wealth. Sombruiel
Climbing looks like it's finally hit its stride. It's covered with buds
and is going to put on a great show this year. All the others are in
various stages of buds but won't have blooms for at least a week.

Because of construction next door and changes to our roadway, I had to
dig up three plants in the city right-of-way ('Pat Austin', 'Rose de
Rescht', and 'New Dawn'). They are doing well in large pots. Since we
may be moving anyway, I'll leave them in pots until we know for sure.

Anyway, it's been a beautiful spring so far and it just keeps getting
better. Pictures soon. Thanks for listening.

--
Henry