Old 13-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (sarah) contains these words:

' It would seem...

Yes. A lot of nomenclature has changed since my day, but I've checked
and that remains the same:-)

I get thoroughly confused in the mushroom groups: the various species
are always playing musical chairs. Suddenly, you meet an old friend in a
pretty-well unrelated genus to the one you saw it in last time.

And then, over the pond some species remain where you'd expect to find
them, but their specific name is something totally different...

When I first developed an interest in fungi (early '50s), what most
people call 'Agaricus' now were more usually 'Psalliota', and the
Agaricus genus has been subdivided too.

What were all in 'Boletus' seem to have fragmented into 'Suillus',
'Leccinum', 'Porphyrellus', 'Boletinus', 'Gyroporus', 'Strobilomyces',
'Uloporus', 'Aureoboletus' and 'Boletus'.

'Tricholoma' and 'Lycoperdon' have.....

Oh, you get the drift!

--
Rusty