Old 13-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

You are advocating drowning, which does not appear to be advocated by
the Forestry Commission in any of its currently applicable documents
referring to grey squirrel control.

I think the most applicable may be
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcpn004.pdf/$FILE/fcpn004.pdf
specific to the control of grey squirrels in woodlands, which, in respect of
live trapping, recommends that the squirrels be removed from the trap and
killed with a blow to the head from a blunt instrument, or taken to a vet
for humane destruction. It goes so far as to say no other form of killing of
live trapped squirrels should be attempted (and that includes shooting
them).

I'd recommend that the twerp who dreamt-up the blunt instrument
treatment should be given a squirrel and a blunt instrument, and filmed.

And how much do they think a vet would charge per squirrel?

The advice is pure cloud-cuckooland, and worthy of the worst excesses of
the so-called 'animal rights' lobby.

I don't believe in allowing any animal to suffer just for the
convenience of mankind, but there are limits to altruism. If ever I have
to dispatch a squirrel in a trap, it will be shot.

I have asked Alan to provide a reference for the 'drowning' advice he claims
to have had from the FC, but none has yet been forthcoming. I suspect any
such advice may turn out to have been superseded.

I expect you're right. These regulations are changing all the time. Most
of them can be amended by (I think it's called) an Order In Council, and
doesn't need to be debated in the House: even then, it's unlikely to
make the headlines.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/