Old 13-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Jinxy

Default Digging Spruce trees will they live?

We live in a rural area and would like to add more trees to the yard. We
have Poplar and Birch trees only and I really want Spruce. The local garden
centres only sell really huge ones (there nice) but costly. So...we got a
permit from the government to go and dig spruce off of government crown
land.

Are we wasting our time and effort? Most people say the trees will not make
it. We are allowed to dig 20 trees so we will stick to fairly small trees
3-4ft. I've dug all the holes already and have brought in some nice soil. In
addition to the soil I will add bonemeal and organic material..plus we will
use mulch around the tree etc.. I have done my homework on keeping the
rootballs moist and wrapped for the journey home. Has anyone out there had
success with digging up native spruce out in the bush and the trees living?

Thanks