Old 13-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Hal

On 11 May 2005 19:03:37 -0700, "
wrote:

my local garden center sells specilized pond ferts for $10 a bag. it
contains 10 tabs which obvious don't last long. in the plants they
sells i see regular tiny marble sized ferts. this is what i intend to
use this season because i can by a 10lb bag of that stuff for $10.

what should i get? i'm guessing a 10-10-10 mix with all the micro's.
any recomendations on which brand? should it be water soluable or not?

I prefer garden soil 40lbs for $1. I also prefer 15-30-15 for
blooming plants. Most of the time I have to compromise and pick the
highest middle number available, but close works.

A high first number (nitrogen) is best for corn and grasses. Too
much nitrogen on a blooming plant sometimes cause them to grow a lot
of foliage and not many blooms.

A high second number (phosphorous) blooming plants.

A 1-1-1 configuration or equal parts is a general fertilizer. BTW the
third part is potash and all plants use a bit of that to better use
the others. In ponds muriate of potash is sometimes added to help
yellowing plants pick up and use the available nitrates and
phosphates.

Water soluble is a bit confusing. Generally, plants get their
nutrients in the water they take in. I thought water soluble
fertilizer was the type mixed in water and poured over terrestrial
plants.
I'd get sticks. They come in different mixes, so read the numbers and
pick the one you like. They also come in longer lasting type
fertilizers that only have to be used once a season, but those are
more expensive.

Regards,

Hal