Old 13-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

| But surely you're not in the U.K.? My .22 RF shoots a (subsonic)
| bullet at about that speed (depending on ammunition).

That's .22 short, I assume? .22 long is almost always supersonic.

No ·22 long was supersonic, and it's more-or-less an obsolete round now.
It's speed was between that of ·22 short and ·22 long rifle.

Standard ·22 LR is also subsonic, but the lighter hollowpoint bulleted
versions creep over the speed of sound.

The supersonic ones include Xpediter, Yellowjacket, Stinger, and at
2,000 fps, the Winchester Magnum Rimfire.

I favour the slightly supersonic Eley ·22 RFHP - sorry: ·22 rimfire
hollowpoint.

The difference other than speed between .22 firearms and .22 air
rifles are that the bullet is c. 7 times heavier than the pellet,
so a .22 bullet carries c. 14 times the energy of a .177 pellet at
the same speed.

Can't argue with that...

--
Rusty