Old 13-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in [...]
I can't imagine what relevance it might have to _interior_ doors.
Well, I suppose there must be something to stop idiots using

ordinary
glass at child height in interior doors, but you wouldn't have

done
that.

I don't know when you last sold a house, but these days

purchasers'
surveyors are extremely picky and own-arse-covering (I bear the
psychological scars a year later!) It helps a lot if you've got
evidence of Building Regs approval, too; a certificate from a

FENSA
member is apparently equivalent.

But in an old house how would anyone know if the fittings were not
original, and who would keep builders bills from 20 or 30 years

ago?

Well, I suppose a professional surveyor could sometimes tell, and
sometimes not tell -- I quite strongly suspect he'd get it right more
often than not (in a really old house it would usually be obvious to
anybody, of course). It's not so much the builder's bills as the
Building Regs evidence; but it would be rash to not to keep the
bills, as you might want to make a claim.

But having just sold a partly-new and partly-old house under the new
rules, I very strongly urge everybody to take these things seriously.
I lost my first potential purchaser because of an over-cautious
surveyor's report: thank Heaven, the next offer came from people
whose surveyor expressed himself differently though describing the
same things.

--
Mike.