Old 13-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Ann

(paghat) expounded:

The newer cultivars are the most forgiving. But if you're merely telling
us that in Ookook Land nobody has has ever had any trouble getting lilacs
to bloom, then wow, that's such very special place.

Lots of newer hybrids planted in dooryards of 250 year old colonials.

I identify where I garden, it's hardly an unknown area. Where you are
lilacs may need more sun because they don't get as much in the rainy
northwest - unless you're on the lee side of the mountains.

I'm pointing out the fact that there are numerous reasons why lilacs
don't flower, one of which is soil pH, the usual case around here in
acid-soil New England. You have experienced the lack of sun thing.
Different environments, different outcomes.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts