Old 13-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Mike Lyle

I am newly retired and I am finding the soil in my back garden too
heavy to work. I am now racked with pain. Planting is ok, but

working
the soil is too much.

One solution would be to get someone in to break up the soil each
Spring but I have just read that grit would be a solution but I

wonder
where to get it. I think I would need too much for it to come in

bags
at a reasonable price.

I live near South West Manchester. Could anyone advise me on how

and
where to get grit and how much it costs?

You'd still have to dig it in, so don't bother. I don't know about
you, but buying it in bags would scare the pants off my bank manager.
You don't need to dig at all: just break up the holes for any new
plants, hoe if necessary for weeds, and chuck on a mulch of compost
when you've got any. Plants want to grow; and if any don't like the
conditions you provide, grow something else instead: it's as easy as
that. Just enjoy it, and never do anything that causes you
discomfort, let alone pain. This is meant to be _fun_.

--
Mike.