Old 14-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Susan Erickson

Kenni Judd wrote:
I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

We were spoiled when we moved from Chicago (and all the vendors
in the Michigan/Northern Indiana/Chicago Land/Southern Wisconsin
area to Colorado. Here the city water is great, the light is
tremendous, and winter is mild. Locals think a local nursery is
the place to buy orchids... and I read the tags - They are from
all the places I can buy from online. I shop the shelves too.
But I am more apt to go home and place an order with the original
grower than buy from the local flower shop.

There is one vendor in the Metro Denver area who is an Orchid
grower- Fantasy Orchids. But compared to Oak Hill and
Hausermann's it is not a lot larger than a good hobby collection.

So when I buy on line, I want - no make that DEMAND that my order
generates a notice - Nothing worse than sending an order then
wondering if they got it, can they fill it, will they ship it?
Until your bank says they collected the money.
So - acknowledged order -
and shipping information - "your order is being mailed on xx/xx.
Or we are shipping the delivery service under this code number.
We have problems with the mail-bot - she can't read - so
packages that say do not bend are bent to fit in the mail box and
boxes that are labeled for protection from sun or cold are left
on the doorstep in the sun.
I want to know when to expect delivery so I can make sure I am
home and the inside door is open so I can see the delivery as it
is made.

As to plants - I wish I could pick them off the bench - but
realize they will be someone else's choice. I want the largest
that was described or I want a discount or some other 'I am
sorry.' If I find the plant in the 4" pot is potted up that
morning and was better suited to a 2 1/2 or 3" pot I am going to
feel cheated. If I don't feel cheated I will tell others to shop
with you. If I do I will tell them not to bother if they tell me
they are thinking of placing an order.

I will tell you to let the weather break if it is Feb. and I may
tell you to use less heat packs. I have found more damage from
heat packs than cold on early spring shipments. But like Joanna
- I probably will not complain.
SuE