Old 14-05-2005, 03:19 AM
halgren

da wrote:

In case you're not aware of the site, the Wayback Machine at
www.archive.org takes snapshots of webpages and keeps track of the
changes. I know a couple people who have used the archives to help
recover their crashed/hacked sites.

I took a look for Little Frog Farm, and it seems the site hasn't drawn
the attention of the archiving spiders yet, so it might be a good idea
to submit the site address for future archiving. I did, however,
manage to find at least a couple of familiar sites to rgo readers.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.jborchids.com
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.firstrays.com
--Vic

I had forgotten about the wayback machine... But the problem isn't the
HTML portion of the site, I had a copy of that. It was the database
that wasn't backed up. My own fault, of course. I certainly have that
technology. I am a full time computer geek (well... computational
biology. Same thing).

It isn't all that bad, there weren't more than 20 or thirty things in
the database that weren't customer records, and I have e-mail as a
backup for the customers. I'm really more annoyed about the bad
technical support I'm getting... My hosting company just merged (I
think maybe 'bought out' is a better phrase) by a canadian company, and
I think that might be the problem.

There are a couple of good rules about computer backups:

1. Failures never happen when you've remembered to back up
2. Never trust anybody but you to have done your backups
3. Evidently, I shouldn't even trust me... Sigh...

Hold the phones... They just popped up in my e-mail box. Politely
telling me that I'm screwed... But at least they replied...

Rob (littlefrogfarm.com - rebuild in progress)