Old 14-05-2005, 03:56 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:19:09 -0400, halgren wrote:

I had forgotten about the wayback machine... But the problem isn't the
HTML portion of the site, I had a copy of that. It was the database
that wasn't backed up. My own fault, of course. I certainly have that
technology. I am a full time computer geek (well... computational
biology. Same thing).

It isn't all that bad, there weren't more than 20 or thirty things in
the database that weren't customer records, and I have e-mail as a
backup for the customers. I'm really more annoyed about the bad
technical support I'm getting... My hosting company just merged (I
think maybe 'bought out' is a better phrase) by a canadian company, and
I think that might be the problem.

There are a couple of good rules about computer backups:

1. Failures never happen when you've remembered to back up
2. Never trust anybody but you to have done your backups
3. Evidently, I shouldn't even trust me... Sigh...

Hold the phones... They just popped up in my e-mail box. Politely
telling me that I'm screwed... But at least they replied...

Rob (littlefrogfarm.com - rebuild in progress)

I hate to laugh but usually we experience things the other way around
-- big U.S. company buys out Canadian firm and then our customer
support vanishes like the dodo bird. It's good to know that the laws
of customer abuse and neglect in relation to so-called business
efficiency and productivity are a constant throughout the universe.

It doesn't sound like it should take you too long to get back up and
running. Your database isn't that large, and I'm sure you've got a
pretty good sense of what was in there. Good luck with the
repopulation.

As for backups........errrr........I'm in absolutely no position to
make remarks about other people's neglect of that most vital computing
process.

So does anybody know what are the computing and Internet gods are
accepting as payment for indulgences and protection these days? g
--Vic