Old 14-05-2005, 04:21 AM
Kenni Judd

Hi, Dave: In my effort to be brief, I neglected to mention that we will
replace rather than refund -- if we believe the complaint to be in good
faith [note Rob's post]. Otherwise, we'd rather have our plants back, issue
the refund and be done with it.

It's only happened to us 4-5 times in several thousand shipments over the
last seven years. A couple of times, it was good repeat customers; we took
them at their word and replaced the plants, waiving the return of those
deemed unsatisfactory. A couple of times, it was people obviously "trying
out" plants, at our expense for shipping both ways [we used to include
shipping costs in our prices until the post office made that unfeasible].
E.g., one lady complained about a box of vandaceous; when we got it back,
one plant had one brown leaf-tip -- and then she wanted Catts in replacement
.... So, generally, we won't waive the return of the "unsatisfactory" plants
for a first-time buyer. [Note Rob's post again] But we pay the return
postage to get the plants back, which is more than I think most nurseries
do.

The notice issue hasn't seemed to be a problem for us. I tell people when
their orders are going to ship, and so far the USPS has been good about
confirming it when I generate the labels. The only delivery problems I can
recall a (1) the postal worker got stuck in a snow drift; she used her
cellphone to call the customer to rescue her plants; (2) one gentleman
relied on his neighbor to get his plants, the neighbor left them broiling in
the metal mailbox for 2 days (we took the plants back, he eventually
re-bought them G); (3) one lady claimed, after I had a delivery
confirmation receipt, that the USPS had stolen her plants (I offered to
replace them at half-price, to "share the loss," didn't hear back from her).
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:04:19 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for

whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon

we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for

us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

What say all of you? What more would you expect, if anything?

Well so far it has not happened to me with Orchids. (Thanks to you who
know who you are!)

I would like the chance to have the vendor make the order good first
before going for a refund. Just my Humble Opinion. Everyone has a bad
day or has an unforeseen accident happen to their shipment, and it
seems to me that letting the Vendor have the option of making the
order good or refunding the order would be a reasonable attitude and
policy to have.

But then I do own rose colored glasses..
Dave