Old 14-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Reel McKoi

"Jack" wrote in message
news:iHehe.38149$0X6.25044@edtnps90...
Well, I took pity on the frogs and released them back into the pond

...along
with the fingerlings. After taking a closer look at the froggies it seems
they are just so small and harmless to not pose much of a problem.

$$ If they're the small green frogs they should now cause a problem. It's
the bullfrogs that caused us so much grief.

Afterall, they have been there for some time and what? ..wait for me to
leave before chawing on the skubunkins? Doesn't seem reasonable to me.

But
what does seem interesting is that I started off with 3 skubunkins and 3
fancy goldies. I lost one skubunkin over winter (very mild) and now the
other 2 have vanished within the last week. Either some predators are

very
selective or there is a dispute among the fish and the goldies won. If

so,
is it common for skubunkins and goldies to have compatibility problems?

And
if it is, I'll just get more goldies.

$$ There are no compatibility problems as BOTH are goldfish. GF come in all
shapes and colors.

So I think I'm going to keep an eye on the remainder then restock in a
couple weeks or so (should I get more 6" or just get some 3" and lettem

grow
like these guys?).

$$ That would be up to whatever size you prefer. I always bought my GF at
about the 2" size. Now I raise my own.

If it looks like there's still trouble then I'll renet.
And on that topic of netting: should the net be suspended in the center
(like a pup tent) or just hovering on a lattice platform with no sides
(it'll keep the divers out).

$$ Mine is suspended on that cheap wire garden fencing you can buy anywhere.
It holds it about 20" above the water. Make sure it's secured where it hits
the ground or snakes will crawl under it.

But then I have several tall plants and I
think the netting will interfere with them. I really don't want the

plants
to grow through the netting as it will be then impossible to get at the

pond
..for filter cleaning, etc.

$$ Nets can be a real pain...... but sometimes there is no other choice.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)